Disposal / Transfer

American Portable Nuclear Gauge Association

A requirement of obtaining a license is for you to be aware of how you are going to dispose of your gauge when you are done using it. Perhaps the gauge is too old and not worth fixing, or the job for which you obtained the gauge has ended. The important thing to know is you can’t just throw the gauge in a dumpster or scrap yard. It must be properly disposed or transferred and you must generally know which of these actions you are going to exercise even before you buy the gauge.

Your agency is going to have very specific requirements as to your knowledge of disposal options. But be careful, many independent disposal options can be very expensive. Try and stick with options within the moisture density gauge market – manufacturers, service providers and other properly licensed gauge users.

APNGA Picture of Improper Disposal

You cannot transfer for any reason, be it disposal, sale or service, unless you have first determined that the receiving party is authorized to accept this specific radioactive material. You should view a copy of their license to see if they are licensed to accept this exact brand and model of gauge. Make sure the license has not expired. Never lend your gauge to another party without proper transfer documentation and license verification.

One option is to have the manufacturer dispose of the gauge for you. Sometimes there is a fee but you may also find that the manufacturer might be willing to accept the gauge at no charge and, if you’re in the market to buy a new gauge, give you a discount on the new gauge. In some cases the manufacturer or service provider might even buy the gauge from you. If the gauge is still functional, in relatively good shape and not too old you might be able to recoup some money. Shop around.

You may also have the option of selling your gauge to another user. It is perfectly legal to sell your gauge to another properly licensed user. You will want to check with your agency as to what restrictions there may be. Some agencies charge extra fees to companies that are in the business of selling gauges.

If they do allow you to sell your gauge you will want to check with the buyer’s agency to make sure the buyer is qualified to make the purchase. Regardless of where the gauge goes you will want to have clear transfer records. Obtain a bill of sale, a copy of the transferee’s license, make sure you have a current leak test on the gauge and make sure you amend your inventory. If you are getting out of the gauge business and are looking to decommission your license make sure you follow your agency’s requirements for decommissioning. This usually requires advance notice – you don’t want to wait until you are too close to your license renewal anniversary date – you may end up paying for an additional year. Keep good, solid records of any transfer. Notify your agency of any transfers and/or disposals.