American Portable Nuclear Gauge Association

This is a stand-alone version from the Training Manual. For the full length training manual click here.

Taking Your Gauge into Another State

Reciprocity is another name for requesting and receiving permission from another state’s regulatory agency to enter and use your gauge in that state. Your license allows you to use your gauge in your state, and, as long as you receive permission, in any other state.

You spent a lot of time and effort – and money – to let your state know all there is to know about you and your company. Other states do not have that information. But they are willing to honor a valid license from your state without putting you through the complete license application process again. Reciprocity is in essence a short term license from another state. And the fee for reciprocity usually matches the fee to obtain a license in that state. Reciprocity usually limits the amount of time you are permitted to use the gauge in another state, usually 30-180 days. If you will be conducting business on a longer term basis in another state you will be required to obtain a full-time license in that state as well.

If you do anticipate a long term job in another state you may be better off to go ahead and obtain a license in that state. You don’t want to put yourself in a position where you pay a reciprocity fee only to end up paying a license fee 6 months into the job.

If you have a license in an Agreement State and you are looking to do business on a U.S. Government installation you will need to check whether you need reciprocity from the NRC. The NRC maintains regulatory authority over most military installations as well as many other U.S. Government sites.

NRC licensees are not required to obtain reciprocity from another NRC state.

You do not need reciprocity to pass through a state on your way to the state for which you have acquired reciprocity. Make sure you do not use the gauge or overnight in a state for which you do not have reciprocity.

The typical requirements of reciprocity are as follows – you will want to check with the given state for their exact requirements – see the “View My State” listings for contact and requirement information. For your initial visit to another state you will need to provide information to that state. Be prepared with the following:

  • A copy of your Radioactive Materials License
  • A copy of the your operating & emergency procedures
  • Gauge manufacturer and model, radionuclides, source models, and activity.
  • Current leak test reports
  • Reciprocity Fee
  • Name of company for who service will be performed
  • Name and contact information of individual representing that company
  • Exact temporary address and storage where you will be using the gauge
  • Starting date
  • Duration of service
  • Type of service to be performed
  • Name of individuals using the gauge, ID’s and training certificates
  • Local address (Hotel name, address, phone) of individuals responsible for the gauge
  • A 3+ day written notification of your intent to bring the gauge into the state

Every time you bring the gauge in and out of the state you will need to notify the agency. You’d be better off establishing a temporary storage site if the job is of any duration. You will also want to have contingency plans in place in the event you need to quickly supply a gauge to the site. For example, the gauge you have on site dies and you need another gauge ASAP. Call the agency, explain the situation and expedite a new reciprocity request. Have agency contact information on hand.

You will want to keep your reciprocity records on file. APNGA recommends keeping them for 3 years.

Go to the “View My State” section on the APNGA homepage, select your state & link to their requirements and form.